Exam Preparation Courses
- TOEFL ITP: This course prepares students specifically for the TOEFL ITP exam. It focuses on test strategies, grammatical structures and and academic writing skills that are directly related to the TOEFL Exam. Before enrolling in this course, students should be utilizing English at an advanced intermediate level. Students who need more general instruction to attain this level should enroll in the Academic English Course Series (see below).
- GED Prep: We have suspended our GED course for the time being. However, we are actively looking for different, more efficient avenues through which students who do not have a recognized high school diploma can get one.
Academic English Course Series
- Academic English 1: Provides students who have solid communicative competency in English, but lack exposure to academic content, structure, and lexis, the ability to achieve necessary scores for their selected university programs. Content areas include science and history. This is the first course in the Academic English series.
- Academic English 2: The second course in the Academic English series covers vocabulary, comprehension and study strategies in the field of social sciences. This course includes an introduction to the TOEFL test and begins preparing students for that challenge.
- English For Development (E4D): A fun course with a focus on networking and practicing English using issues in public health, rural development, micro-finance, and others. There is also a writing component to this course which will help students with IT communication etiquette and introduce students to the language of proposal and report writing.
- Research Techniques (RT): This course offers prospective university students important skills needed for success in their university programs. Students in this course develop the research strategies and critical thinking skills needed to write excellent research papers using correct citation.
- Global Issues in Development (GID): This is a survey course designed to inform students about basic topics in development, while increasing technical language skills.